Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Cutting Edge

First - Happy Easter!  I hope that everyone will spend today with family and/or friends.  I know that we will all have some cute pictures to post later today or tomorrow.  I can't wait to spend AngelCakes first Easter with her!

So my post today is about cutters.  Susan and I keep trying to find the "perfect" cutter.  It is really out there?  Here is my current collection.  My favorite is the new Fiskars cutter that GQ turned me on to.  My second favorite is my Creative Memories straight cutter.  I have the wavy cutter and the newest rotary cutter, but I'm not "in love" with those.   For me, the perfect cutter has to be light weight, have a good cutting groove that won't warp, very visible hash marks, and blades that last a long time.  The CM straight cutter is light weight and has a great cutting groove.  However, I had to mark the hash marks with a white pen in order to be able to see them and the blade doesn't last as long as I wish it did.  The new Fiskars has everything on my wish list....so far.  I haven't had a chance to judge the groove and blade, but am hopeful that they will make me proud! :)  I do like the CM wavy cutter for cutting decorative borders and strips. 

Do you have a favorite?

4 comments:

  1. Happy Easter to you & your family!

    Would like to know more details about the new Fiskars cutter. You & TenSGal have such good info & insight into these things.

    Not sure I have a fav. I have:
    1. Fiskars 12" x 12" that has a blade handle you push downward (not sure of name of this cutter since I've had it for quite some time but it is pretty heavy duty),
    2. Fiskars 12" x 15" (it has a ruler to the left that swings out for measuring more than 4" items) that I use for creasing since the blades did not last long for cutting when I'm not using the Martha Stewart creasing/scoring board and
    3. my small Ingento Personal Trimmer which I use for 4" x 6" photo size cutting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still love my Purple Cow and use it the most when I crafting at home. Second favorite but first for portability is the Fiskars cutter you mentioned, Cyndi. And I have a Provocraft trimmer that is also ok for a quick cut and works like the Fiskars drag type. I just sold 3 or 4 Cutterpedes at a consignment sale. That used to be my favorite trimmer but I just don't care for the rotary type trimmers any more. Guess I'm getting too old and weak! HAHA! And Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I also have one of those wavy CM trimmers which I like very much as well but again it's a drag type trimmer as opposed to a rotary.
    But you're right...I'm always in search of the perfect trimmer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. my. goodness. I had no idea there were so many cutters out there! You certainly have a collection! Hope you and that precious AngelCakes had a great Easter!

    ReplyDelete