Monday, April 18, 2011

Photography

I like photography.  This is another hobby that I wish I were better at, but  I am just so thankful for automatic settings. 

My Mom has always liked photography, and her father liked photography.  She has a cool collection of old cameras.  She knows how to take pictures the "real" way - manual settings and all.  I remember borrowing her 35mm film camera to take pictures at a Braves game back in the early 90's.  She tried to give me a quick lesson.  All I really remember is "thread the needle".  I actually got some good shots that day. 

I have always had a camera.   I remember being a little girl and having the kind that had  flash "cubes".  I worked my way through various cameras through the years.  Finally - in 2001 I got a Canon Rebel 35mm film camera.  I stayed with film until the GQ convinced us all that digital was the way to go.  She was the first in our group to go digital.  So I started out with the original Canon Rebel digital and am on my third upgrade.   I currently have a Canon Rebel T2i.  I have tried to upgrade every two years; however, this may be my last upgrade since retirement is around the corner.  I have four good lenses.   Sometimes I'll try to use the manual settings on my camera, but by the time I remember all of the settings I'm supposed to adjust, the photo op is gone.  So I mostly just use my auto settings.  Creative for me is "no flash" - that is about as good at it gets!  

I have had the opportunity to take pictures of some wonderful scenery.  All of my pictures are from U.S. destinations (except just a few from Mexico).  I've never traveled abroad - again, except Mexico - and I don't even have a passport.  I went to Mexico before passports were a requirement.  I think I'm better at photographing animals and nature than people.  But now that AngelCakes is here, I really want to get better with people.  My kids used to tease me about my lack of skills.  Either there was no head on the subject or my thumb was in it.  I'm better these days because of digital.  I may take a thousand pictures of the exact same thing, but at least one picture will have a head!!! :) 

I do enjoy reading photography tips and seeing what other people are able to do.  My current favorite photography site is http://www.picturecorrect.com/.  I get automatic posts from this site.  They are a great source of  information.

3 comments:

  1. I've seen a lot of your photos and I think you're an excellent photographer. Thanks for the site too! I'm always wanting to be a better "picture taker" too so I look forward to checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome site for wonderful photo tips. I get the emails too and save them into a separate file so I can go back and look. You don't give yourself enough credit...you take great photos!
    But what is the "thread the needle" tip...I don't know that one! Share, share....
    And I was right about Digital, wasn't I? HAHA! We paid over $1000 for our first digital camera in 1999. It was a Nikon Coolpix...I took it to Switzerland for a week and still probably only took about 100 photos because I was so used to film. I had a 96 mb card that we paid over $100 for! 96 MEGABYTES! Wow...I love technoglogy!
    So what year did you go digital?
    We've come a looooong way, BABY!
    Your favorite Gadget Queen (GQ)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete