Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Importance of Scrapbooking (to me)

I've always appreciated the importance of memory keeping.  However, something kind of unusual happened recently that was a good reminder for me.  My sister-in-law Carol is a widow.  She is dating a man named Michael who is a widower.  Michael puts on science shows at schools, parties, etc.  So.....a few weeks ago they were at my husband's grandmother's house looking through a scrapbook that I had made for the grandmother.  In this book is a photo of my son (we call him CritterBug) at his 5th birthday party.   We had hired a magician named Mr. Fun for the party.  When Michael saw the pictures of Mr. Fun he was amazed.  Mr. Fun had been one of his best friends.  Unfortunately he had died just a few months after Michael lost his wife.  Michael was so touched by seeing a photo of his friend that he teared up and called the widow of Mr. Fun.  "Where is this going"?, you ask.  Well, Carol contacted me earlier this week to tell me the story and asked if I could possibly find any more photos of that party.  She said she knew it would be difficult since I probably have thousands of photos.  Five minutes later I let her know that I had two pages of additional photos from the party.  She was amazed that I was able to find them; but it was simple because they were right there in the scrapbooks I have of the CritterBug.  So keeping those photos organized and in books (if at all possible) is important for so many reasons.  And another bonus to this story......CritterBug turned 28 yesterday and we enjoyed looking through this volume of his childhood albums!

1 comment:

  1. Just saw this blog entry! Guess we were preoccupied last week when you posted this and I missed it.
    This is so true...scrapbooks are such a great way of recording your own history.
    And there are lots of time we will say..."Now, when did we (fill in the blank)? And we can't remember and then we pull out the scrapbook and it's all right there!

    ReplyDelete